Mr & Mrs O's summer holiday - 2015

Share all your Holiday adventures here

Mr & Mrs O's summer holiday - 2015

Postby SteveO » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:16 pm

We just got back from 6 lovely days on Windmill Lady, so I thought I had better tell our holiday tale whilst it is still fresh in the mind.

Monday 6th: Having spent a warm sunny day in the garden down here in Kent, we set off at around 6.30 pm. The drive to Norfolk, via the M11/A11 was uneventful and took 3 hours and 15 minutes. We arrived in time for a very welcome beer at the New Inn and then loaded all our gear onto the boat. We rigged up the telly and looked at the weather forecast, which was not encouraging, as rain was expected the next day. We decided to shop for ship's stores the following morning and made a list of requirements.

Tuesday 7th: Day dawned, warm but overcast as promised and we headed off to Roys of Wroxham via the fishing shop to pick up some bait. Roys had a "fashion sale" on so I spent an hour cooling my heels whilst Mrs O browsed the bargains. After filling a trolley, mainly with liquids with varying alcohol content, we returned to Horning and stowed our provisions away. As the forecast was for rain, we decided not to take the boat out, but to go by car to visit Stalham. We arrived at lunchtime, so it was off to the Swan for a bite to eat and a couple of pints of Adnams Ghost Ship. Food and drink consumed, we had a stroll down the high street to check out the charity shops and the "Factory Outlet" where there were a few bargains to be had. Last time we visited, we found a lot of struggling/closed down businesses - probably due to the arrival of Tescos. This time, we felt that the village had turned a corner and was "on the up" again. Visit completed, it was off to Ludham, where we decided to take a walk by the river, as the forecast rain still hadn't materialised. We parked at Womack Staithe and checked out the moored boats. Pleased to see our old boat Tamar, back on the village moorings. We walked past Hunters Yard and down towards the river, then headed towards Potter. The grass was at my chest height and, after the first mile, Mrs O succumbed to pollen allergy, so the rest of the afternoon was spent with her sneezing loudly. Just before we got back to Womack, the promised rain arrived and for 10 minutes, helped to damp things down a bit.

We returned to the boat where I did an unproductive spot of fishing, whilst Mrs O watched the tennis on TV. Later in the evening we toddled down to The Ferry Inn and had a very so-so pint of Woodforde's Sundew by the river in the last of the evening's light.

To be continued ........

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Re: Mr & Mrs O's summer holiday - 2015

Postby roya » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:45 am

SUPER STUFF/

.clap.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby SteveO » Mon Jul 13, 2015 9:19 pm

If people like it. I will continue with the tale. If no response, I won't waste my time.

-uu-

Steve
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby newfy » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:40 am

Not wasting time Steve, always good to hear other peoples tales. .clap.
newfy
Caretaker

Postby Boaters » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:41 am

Keep it coming ,you don't realise Steve how upsetting this can be for those not on the river .gj ,their tears maybe soaking their keyboards :cry: Must admit the Ferry is slipping down our list of pubs in more than just the beer in recent times :Oh
Boaters
Deckhand

Postby hank » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:56 am

More! :y
Definition: Boat n. A hole in the surface of the water in which to throw money
hank
Site Admin

Postby SteveO » Wed Jul 15, 2015 6:58 pm

Very well, then I will continue:

Wednesday 8th: Another cr*p weather forecast, so we decided to go to Great Yarmouth for the day. Having heard a lot of bad things about the place, we have avoided visiting the town for almost 35 years. We drove in, parked the car and walked down to the marketplace with umbrellas and waterproofs at the ready.
What is it about Yarmouth and chips? - there must have been at least 5 chip stalls open in the market that day. We settled on the one with the longest queue, on the basis that the most popular should be the best, and we were not disappointed.

The main purpose of our visit was to take a look at the Nelson Museum, which is a small private collection of memorabilia that tells the story of the great man. We spent a fascinating hour or so in the museum and then walked back along the waterfront, where we hoped to visit the Lydia Eva, a preserved herring drifter , which was advertised as being open to the public. Sadly, it was locked up and there was no-one around, so we headed back into town . We browsed a few shops that seemed to be having permanent clearance sales, but didn’t find any bargains, then it was back to the market, where I bought a fork ‘andle – to mend a broken spade at home.

Great Yarmite – some love it, some hate it. We thought it was an interesting place and, compared to a lot of seaside towns down here in Kent, it felt as though it was definitely on the up.

After that, it was back to the boat, mid-afternoon for another unproductive session with the rod, interrupted by a brief rain shower.
After a crab salad tea and a chill out in front of the tennis for a bit, we decided to pay a visit to The Dog at Ludham Bridge, so it was off in the car again (not bad for a boating holiday!). The pub was very busy, so we found a couple of stools by the bar and started guzzling the excellent Winter’s Gold that was on tap that day. Just as i was reaching the end of my second pint, we heard that there was a quiz on. Sadly, I had shot my bolt, so to speak and, as I was driving, we couldn’t stay and join in, so it was off b ack to Windmill Lady and to bed. I could have stayed all night, but that would have involved mooring the boat at Ludham Bridge overnight and I am not sure my nerves would cope.

-uu-

Steve
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby Boaters » Wed Jul 15, 2015 10:21 pm

Next time try the Hot Pea stall and their pies .clap. Been there for as long as we can remember .We also like the prom at Gorleston ,lovely long walk and great beach with food stalls together with free parking . .Tee.
Boaters
Deckhand

Postby newfy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:38 pm

Like you Steve I have always given Yarmouth a wide berth and up till now I am not sorry, there are so many lovely places to visit and I am not in a hurry to break the habit
newfy
Caretaker

Postby SteveO » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:43 pm

Day 3 of our holiday follows:

Thursday 9th:
We were up at 7.30, which is very early for us on holiday. By 8.30, we had breakfasted and were up and about. We popped into Ludham Bridge for bread, milk, maggots and other essentials and we were out on the water before 10, bound for a secret fishing spot upriver from Horning. The sun came out , the breeze was light and the temperature was very pleasant.

On our way upriver, we passed Jamie Oliver coming the other way in his beautiful Broom woody. We moored the boat up and I tackled up. I had my first bite within 2 minutes; a decent sized perch, which put up a good fight. It was the first of several, all of a similar size. The fishing carried on fast and furious, with good roach and some half-decent bream falling to both maggots and sweetcorn. We even caught a couple of beautiful golden rudd. Mrs O embarrassed me as usual by catching the biggest fish. A large perch of around 2lb, which took quite a lot of line off her reel, until she remembered to tighten the clutch up a bit. -F

By mid afternoon, the tide had turned and the fishing went off. Jamie’s boat came back upriver, this time with his dad at the helm. It must be tough being even a minor celeb. Imagine not even being able to stop for a riverside BBQ without attracting a crowd! Feeling tired. I headed for our main cabin for a kip, only to find Mrs O fast asleep there, taking up the entire sofa, so I nipped down into the forecabin and lay down on my berth. After a few minutes of being gently rocked by passing boat traffic, I was fast asleep, and remained so for around 45 minutes. Around 5pm we returned to Horning and reversed back into our mooring, An impressive manoeuvre when it works out, especially when everyone in the holiday cottage across the dyke is watching and waiting eagerly for you to screw it up.
That evening, we strolled into Horning and ended the day with a pint of Old Speckled Hen taken in the garden of The Swan, whilst swatting mozzies.

To be continued.....
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby Boaters » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:56 pm

Swotting Mozzies your lucky,first I know is when they bite and leave me to scratch for days :Oh
Boaters
Deckhand

Postby roya » Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:23 pm

How is the SWANN theese days MR O,
it looked a bit grubby last time we visited in Dec???
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby SteveO » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:31 pm

Hi Roy, The Swan would not be my pub of choice, the food seems as if it is designed by accountants rather than chefs, and they are always advertising for staff.
The riverside location is nice though, but prefer the New Inn myself.

Anyway, we have reached day 4 of our holiday, so here goes:

Friday 10th
The day dawned hot. Very hot, so we decided to take ourselves off to the beach at Winterton. We stopped at the Horning Butchers for sweet chilli sausage rolls (delicious) and then at Lathams bakery to buy sandwiches. Then it was off in the car to Winterton. We bought an all-day ticket for the car park. Set up camp on the beach, put up our windbreak and all was going well. We got very hot, had a swim. Walk on the beach to dry off and then settled down for chicken salad baguette and chilli sausage rolls. Half way through, a bloke came up to us and asked if we had a car in the car park. We said yes, and he said that we’d better move it, as there had been an incident . Later we found that some kn*b of a metal detectorist had found an unexploded mortar shell in the dunes and carried it back to the coastguard station to ask if he could take it home. Sometimes I think that Darwinism should be left to take its course. :pir: :pir:

Anyway, the police arrived, followed by the bomb squad and the “Major Incident” mentality took over. The cafe was closed, the toilets were closed, the car park and beach were evacuated and about 200 people’s day was spoiled. We got in the car and drove off to Hemsby – a place I have never been to before. Whilst Winterton is uncrowded, undeveloped and unspoiled, Hemsby is the exact opposite, full of holiday camps,slot machine arcades, bingo halls and other seaside “attractions” . We parked in the beach car park, where we were hugely amused by a couple from Essex, in a convertable car with the top down, having a loud argument with effing and blinding at every other word. We left them to their argument, pitched camp on the beach and finished eating our lunch, decided not to go for a swim and returned to the car, where the argument was still going on. Anyway, the weather had cooled down a bit so we drove back to Horning to spend the rest of the afternoon on the boat, watching Mr Federer give Mr Murray a tennis lesson.

Friday teatime, we had a takeaway from the Golden City at Horning, which was excellent as usual , then when that had gone down, we staggered off to the New Inn to do battle in the Friday quiz. We were a team of two and there were a lot of other teams, but somehow we got lucky with the questions and we found ourselves as winners. As some of you may know, there is prize money involved and what you win depends on choosing from 4 envelopes with different amounts in them. We came away with £24, which will pay for our next meal at the New Inn, which incidentally, we think is greatly improved under Mark, the new landlord.

-uu-

Steve
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby newfy » Wed Jul 22, 2015 2:43 pm

Excellent tale Mr O thoroughly enjoyed Thanks
newfy
Caretaker

Postby SteveO » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:55 pm

Thanks Colin, it's nice to be appreciated. Let's bring the tale to a close now.

Saturday 11th:
We woke to clear blue skies and hot sunshine, and decided to walk into Horning to get a paper before going out on the river. I was walking along minding my own business, when I felt a sharp burning pain in my right eye, which felt as though someone had poured molten metal into the eye socket. I worked out that I had been stung by something, and we carried on our walk, interspersed with effing and blinding from me, as I dealt with the pain. On the way back from the newsagent, I searched the area where the sting happened and sure enough found the body of a small black and yellow wasp. At least the little b*ggar was dead.

When we got back to the boat, I put some after-bite, on the sting site, which took a lot of the pain away. However, my eyelids had swollen up and I spent the rest of the day like Nelson, looking at the world through one eye. We met up with some friends on the moorings and decided to spend the day with them and some other friends rafted up on Malthouse Broad. We rolled back the sliding saloon top and set off downriver, the slight breeze giving a bit of relief from the heat. After half an hour’s gentle cruising with the outgoing tide, we arrived at Ranworth and found our pals, who had come down from Potter had beaten us to it. We dropped our mudweight mid-broad and the other two boats rafted up alongside. Our drinks fridge was well-stocked and we enjoyed ice cold cans of Adnams Ghost Ship, followed by some improvised sandwiches and lots of chat.

Later that afternoon, the others went off back to their moorings and we hung around for a bit. We had our dinghy with the electric outboard and took it for a tour of the broad. Then we went across to the staithe to find the wherries White Moth , which was celebrating its 100th Birthday, together with Hathor, which was recently restored. We had a good look below decks at both wherries and were particularly impressed with the Egyptian themed wood inlay work in Hathor’s main cabin, now cleaned, which looked as bright as the day she was built. After that, we toddled across to the Maltsters for a pint of Wherry – it would have been rude not to, and then back in the dinghy to Windmill Lady.

We had no sooner arrived back on board when I noticed a Hunters Yard half-decker with a long bowsprit heading straight for us. I jumped up to fend it off, and fortunately, was able to grab hold of the forestay, which turned a lethal direct blow into a glancing one, which left a 1 ft. streak of metal, from the end of the bowsprit down the side of my hull, which I was later able to compound out. Thanking my lucky stars, and shouting abuse in equal measure, we started the engine, raised the mudweight and cleared off, heading back to the safety of our mooring in Horning. Why hire companies rent boats to idiots, I will never know.
After a too eventful day, we needed a drink, so visited the White Horse at Neatishead, another hostelry which goes from strength to strength under new ownership, to sample a couple of their excellent beers- and then to bed.

-uu-

Steve
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby roya » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:00 pm

much enjoyed MR O

Thanks
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby Paul » Wed Jul 22, 2015 8:02 pm

:wow
If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill
Paul
Boatswain

Postby hank » Wed Jul 22, 2015 10:23 pm

.clap. .clap. .clap. .clap. .clap. .clap. briliant Steve
Wish I was as erudite :cry:
Definition: Boat n. A hole in the surface of the water in which to throw money
hank
Site Admin

Postby SteveO » Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:20 pm

Erudite? isn't that wot you stick things with? .Tee. .Tee. .Tee.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it. Final helping coming up:

Sunday 12th:
All good things have come to an end and our holiday was no exception. We woke late, to an overcast sky which threatened rain, but at least I could see it through both eyes. After breakfast we stowed our life buoy, tv arial and ensign away and packed the car while it was still dry. We were planning to get away early, but after all the cleaning and putting away, not to mention chatting to our friends it was soon lunchtime, so we popped down to The Ferry Inn for a carvery lunch. Fortunately they were able to find a table for us – the place was very busy. The carvery was very good and the Wherry was drinkable too. After lunch it was back to the boat for a final close-down routine – immersion heater off, seacocks closed, gas off, water pump off lock up and into the car for the drive home. Not too many tears were shed though, cos we are up again next weekend for Horning Fete and the Hoveton Classic Car show and again the week after for the Horning Water Carnival.

-uu- Cheers all

Steve
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby Boaters » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:10 pm

Blimey you could not make that up ,on the beach and then the wasp ,I bet you was glad to get back to work for some calm :Oh
Boaters
Deckhand

Postby SteveO » Mon Jul 27, 2015 7:31 pm

Apart from the compulsory visit to Hemsby and the searing pain, we really enjoyed the holiday.

-uu-

Steve
SteveO
Master at Arms

Return to Wonderous Stories