The green thing

Funnies go in here.
Warning may contain Adult material.

The green thing

Postby Ariel_vh » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:22 pm

-----
Subject: But we didn't have the "green thing" back then

Checking out at the supermarket, the young cashier suggested to the much older woman, that she should bring her own grocery bags because Plastic bags weren't good for the environment.

The woman apologised and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young cashier responded, "That's our problem today - your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the 'green thing' in its day. Back then, we returned milk bottles, lemonade bottles and beer bottles to the shop. The shop sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilised and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery shops bagged our groceries in brown paper bags, that we re- used for numerous things, most memorable besides household bags for rubbish, was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our schoolbooks. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school), was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalise our books on the brown paper bags.

But too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have a lift in every supermarket, shop and office building. We walked to the local shop and didn't climb into a 300 horsepower machine every time we had to go half a mile.

But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's Terry Towel nappies because we didn't have the throwaway kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy- gobbling machine burning up 3 kilowatts wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids had hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing.

But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Back then, we had one radio or TV in the house - not a TV in every room and the TV had a small screen the size of a big handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of Scotland In the kitchen. We blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn petrol just to cut the lawn. We pushed the mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity.

But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a tap or fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull.

But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their Mums into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's 50,000 People Carrier which cost the same as a whole house did before the "green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances and we didn't need a computerised gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest Pub!

But isn't it sad that the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart bottom young person...

We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to piss us off...especially from a tattooed, multiple pierced smartarse who can't work out the change without the cash register telling them how much it is!

Here endeth the bloody lesson!
Just because you are breathing does'nt mean that you are alive.
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Re: The green thing

Postby roya » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:54 pm

SPOT ON MATE.

;bow
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby newfy » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:43 pm

As Roya says 'SPOT ON', problem is that young whipper snapper wont get to read that post which is a great pity :wow
newfy
Caretaker

Postby EllenandFrank » Thu May 01, 2014 8:12 am

Agreed it is Spot on
We were always make do and mending and didn't have lots of
gadgets that used up electricity, the only green we knew was
the grass we played on and we have still managed to last to
84 and 91 despite not being green and still had a happy life.
EllenandFrank
Scurvy Mariner

Postby riyadhcrew » Thu May 01, 2014 11:09 am

That post brought back memories of each and everything that was said. It's scary what is happening now and will it get any better????
best regards,
Eric.
riyadhcrew
Deckhand

Postby Ariel_vh » Thu May 01, 2014 11:21 am

84 and 91.....PHEW...I thought that I was the oldest here...80 years last Dec' second..Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby littlesprite » Thu May 01, 2014 6:15 pm

That definitely brings back memories,

Fighting over who would go first and get the clean water in the tin bath, or who would get the end of the bath without a pot washer repair, I've still got the marks on my cheeks (and I don't mean the face) .Tee.

But your right we didn't do green.
Martin
littlesprite
Master's Mate

Postby Paul » Fri May 02, 2014 9:02 pm

What'd come out on a Saturday night?
The old tin bath
Put in the kitchen right under the light
The old tin bath
We'd fill every kettle, we'd fill every pot
We'd boil 'em up until scalding hot
Then where did we pour the boiling lot?
In the old tin bath

Kitchen awash with water and steam
And the old tin bath
You'd dip in a toe, and you'd give out a scream
In the old tin bath
Kid's go first then Dad'd sit tight
Mother went last, she said it's alright
Then she emptied it, polished it, made it a sight
The old tin bath

When Mother got out, the water was cold
In the old tin bath
She longed for the day we finally sold
The old tin bath
She nagged away from night till noon
For a plumbed in bath in a separate room
And soon there came the day of doom
For the old tin bath

When they carried it out we cheered and clapped
The old tin bath
'Cause we had a new room all tiled and tapped
Not the old tin bath
With a gleaming tub as big as a pool
Cold and hot, well it made you drool
We splashed and scrubbed and played the fool
We were hydropaths
Goodbye old tin bath

http://music.harveyandrews.com/track/old-tin-bath
If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill
Paul
Boatswain

Postby newfy » Sat May 03, 2014 6:48 am

.Tee. .Tee. .Tee. .Tee.
newfy
Caretaker

Postby Freedom » Tue May 06, 2014 7:04 am

One of the key problems is that we've lost our values.

Back in the day, many quality manufacturers were run by people with passion for the products they made. Today, they are run by accountants with passion for the bottom line and shareholder dividends - sorry did I say passion? I meant to say greed.

A quality British product was built to last (and often still is), but a cheap import from a country with megre attention to detail and lack of interest in quality of living will be built to a cost. Far from being a racist dig, but many reading this will remember a time that the words Made in China or India were subliminal instructions to avoid purchasing something and we all thought that Made in England, or British Made were the things to buy. Today, it's a real struggle to find these things and it is less of a guarantee of quality.

Once upon a time, when plastic was expensive and unrefined, returnable bottles for milk and pop were the in thing. I remember collecting Corona bottles to take back to my local sweet shop for 10p each refund or whatever it was. Today, the fizzy black crap inside the bottle costs less to make than the bottle itself, but we throw the bottle away as it has little value. Many, I appreciate, will recycle the bottle, but today's recycling doesn't involve saniting it and reusing it, it means breaking it down and turning it into another bottle or something else, but what's the cost of this in terms of energy?

Food packaging is the biggest contributor to the modern problem of waste and the quicker the laws for health and safety in such things are improved and new laws introduced to ban all this plastic packaging, the better off we will be.

Rant over.
Freedom
Quarter Master

Postby Ariel_vh » Tue May 06, 2014 12:12 pm

.clap. Well said...One of my pet hates is having to but something I do not want.Went to B&Q recently to buy a bath plug,first time that I have ever had to buy one.I had to buy 2 in a plastic blister pack so I have one that I will never use.Only coppers I know but it still annoys.
Another thing is batteries,If I only want one I am forced to buy 4. My little bedside clock uses one every four years...Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby roya » Tue May 06, 2014 5:11 pm

Bit like getting a Wife normally comes with a MOTHER IN LAW. :Oh :Oh .Tee.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby MBA Marine » Tue May 06, 2014 8:35 pm

I like to recycle. Not having gas or oil heating we have a fire.
Junk mail becomes ash
Egg boxes becomes ash
wrapping paper becomes ash
xmas/birthday cards becomes ash
cereal boxes becomes ash
All wood waste from work becomes ash

You get the idea if its combustible without sending too much black smoke out of the chimney I turns it into ash! The heat produced goes into my home saving on those expensive non renewable forms of energy, some might say what about your smoke pollution I think this is more than balanced by the energy expelled in the processing/distributing that fuel to homes, energy used in the construction of boilers and oil storage tanks, also rightly or wrongly but I like the idea of sending ash to landfill rather than loads of crap that will still be in there forever and a day.

on the landfill subject, the NIMBY's stopped the incinerator plans, well as there are plans to export the waste on a barge could we not build this incinerator off shore in the place of one of our old rigs.
MBA Marine
Master's Mate

Postby roya » Wed May 07, 2014 7:20 am

HI MARK,
if I may I joined the anti Burner thing in K Lynn,

Reason 1 being the American Company who built them were not allowed to build any more in America (danger to health it seems)and were being Sued by Folk made sick by Pollutant side products in the air.

Second Reason it would have cost us with them a £105 a ton to dispose of and other recycling methods reduced this to £85 a ton.

Less packaging would be a dam good start.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby Ariel_vh » Wed May 07, 2014 8:04 am

I don't mind becoming a grandfather.What worries me is being married to a grandmother....Les
Ariel_vh
Quarter Master

Postby MBA Marine » Wed May 07, 2014 5:49 pm

roya wrote:HI MARK,
if I may I joined the anti Burner thing in K Lynn,

Reason 1 being the American Company who built them were not allowed to build any more in America (danger to health it seems)and were being Sued by Folk made sick by Pollutant side products in the air.

Second Reason it would have cost us with them a £105 a ton to dispose of and other recycling methods reduced this to £85 a ton.

Less packaging would be a dam good start.

I did not know there was proven danger to health, I thought the Dutch has a similar thing that was working fine, but I must confess I have not researched. Still a off shore plant could have legs, hopefully really long ones that reach bedrock!
MBA Marine
Master's Mate

Postby SteveO » Wed May 07, 2014 7:30 pm

I spent a year living in the wilds of Scotland - beyond the reach of the bin lorry. Life was cheap, but transport was a pushbike and the shops were 9 miles away. With no council waste collection and no car you became not only fit, but also very careful about what you bought. Bottles had to be recyclable, but were generally avoided as too heavy and just about anything else had to be disposable by burning or composting. As a result processed food was generally avoided and most things were cooked from first principles. Milk was obtained from the local farm in an aluminium can. Not being pasteurised it went sour by next morning in the summer.

Those were the days. We seem to have come a long way since the mid 1970's, but I'm not sure how much of it was progress.

-uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby woodwose » Wed Jun 18, 2014 6:50 pm

I grew up in the 1950s and 60s so I thought I would add a few things to this list. See what you think.

I often went to school in a thick smog with a scarf tied over my mouth and nose to keep the filth out.

We never had black spot on our roses because the air was thick with sulphur pollution.

Now the local rivers are full of trout but back then you didn't call things floating in the rivers "trout". There was no life in them but plenty of phenols and PCBs.

I used to get the bus to work and on winter mornings I would watch a multi coloured sun rise through the pollution haze over the chemical works.

We flooded the environment with DDT and killed off all the birds of prey

We dug up the hedgerows and wild flower meadows and killed off all the skylarks.

If you went by train you got home covered in soot.

At weekends, my parents would go for a drive in the countryside. No thought of walking.

We filled the air with petrol fumes full of tetra ethyl lead. It poisoned generations and it now looks like it fueled a crime wave as well.

The government gave us kids free vitamin C because our diet was so bad.

All these things are from my memory. I didn't look them up on the internet, there's no need. I remember those days as grey and filthy.

Would I go back to those values? Not a chance.

Nigel
woodwose
Scurvy Mariner

Postby SteveO » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:06 pm

The contrary view is very eloquently set out by Nigel. .clap. .clap. .clap.

Yes it is good to remember all the things that were bad about the old days, as well as those which were good.

-uu-

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby roya » Thu Jun 19, 2014 2:56 pm

Hi Nigel,
great to see you posting on here .clap.

but if I may
I also grew up in London in the 40s 50s 60s and yes it was a bit grimey,but,

no drug dealers on every corner
we could leave doors unlocked,
no eastern crooks lurking at cash points,

the hospitals worked,

we could afford to travel on trains

no bloody road rage,

not many scroungers knocking out children to live on the dole,

best not go on

I preferred life then when this was GREAT BRITAIN,

SIGH.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby woodwose » Thu Jun 19, 2014 7:09 pm

Hi Roy

Long time no see.

I thought this thread was about "green things" rather than those other things you mention, but since you do mention them, here are a few more thoughts:

Roya wrote:

but if I may
I also grew up in London in the 40s 50s 60s and yes it was a bit grimey,but,

Unlike you posh Londoners, I grew up in tough Northern Towns

no drug dealers on every corner Obviously you did not visit where I lived in Liverpool
we could leave doors unlocked, I don't remember ever being able to do this
no eastern crooks lurking at cash points, You had cash points in the 1950s?

the hospitals worked, Back then if you were diagnosed with cancer it was a death sentence. Now over half of everyone diagnosed with cancer will live another 10 years. Heart disease rates have halved since the 1980s. I could go on but I won't.

we could afford to travel on trains I traveled by train into London every day for 27 years. Don't get me started on train fares.

no bloody road rage, When I was a kid we lived on a busy main road. I knew several children who were killed there. Road safety has improved out of all recognition since the good old days

not many scroungers knocking out children to live on the dole, Maybe not in your bit of London but I can think of quite a few where I came from

In all honesty, just about everything has improved.

Would I go back? Not a chance.

Nigel
woodwose
Scurvy Mariner

Postby Paul » Thu Jun 19, 2014 10:37 pm

It's very easy to be drawn in by the romanticised visions we might hold of the past, or indeed the way it is portrayed on television and in films. I have often thought how nice it might be to have lived in the days between the wars. The Oxford of Evelyn Waugh perhaps or the Norfolk of Arthur Ransome in those innocent days of the 1920's and early 1930's, before the threat of war cast it's ugly shadow across Europe and changed the world forever. The days of plough horses and hay carts, of field hedges and sunken lanes all but free of the drone of motorised traffic. Long dreamy summer days spent on the river or the beach, or beneath the "dreaming spires".

Of course the reality had I actually been there would be much different. For a start there is a real chance i would not have lived long enough to appreciate my surroundings. Infant mortality rates were horrific. My Mothers parents both came from large families. My Gran was one of sixteen, only six lived to adulthood. My Grandfather one of thirteen, four died in childhood. They were not unusual stastics for the times. Had I beaten the odds my prospects looked pretty poor. Grandpa was a miner and Gran a hosiery mill worker. In the early days of the twentieth century education in the UK was a mess, despite the 1902 Balfour act and Grandpa only received any education courtesy of a church school which offered free schooling to it's congregational children via a retired schoolmaster. Still, by the outbreak ouf WW1 he left school able to read. write and add up. He was conscripted for the first time shortly after his 18th birthday but by then the fighting was over and he never saw active service. He had been earning money to help his parents by caddying at a local golf course or farm labouring but after his release from the Army he, like most local men turned to the coal mines and went to work underground.

Mum is the youngest of three daughters, when the first was born my Gran left her work in a Leicester hosiery mill and Grandad replaced her, leaving the mines for the better paid work of a machine operator. He worked six day weeks, ten hours a day and cycled the fifteen or so miles there and back. He was conscripted for a second time in 1941 having been granted a period of exemption because his middle daughter was seriously ill. I have the letter in front of me now, it makes quite clear there will be no further period of exemption and a railway warrant was included to allow him to make his way to Ashfield barracks for training as an army driver. He drove his lorry across the rim of the Sahara with Montgomerie and the 25th Coy. Royal Armoured Service Corps before returning to the UK in 1944 in time to cross the channel on D Day taking heavy equipment ashore once the beach heads were secure. He drove through France and Germany and into Berlin before ending the war in neumunsterm Northern Germany where he was discharged on 18 October 1945. It took exectly a month to get home and be released from Army service, the final stamp in his release book being back in Coalville on 18 November.
My parents married in 1959, my mother was an office worker and my father qualified as a bench carpenter, a step down from a cabinet maker but as work for carpenters dried up in the 1960's he spent time as a joiner then a factory worker before ill health cause in his early death thirty years ago. My mother spent her working life as an office worker firstly in the private sector then in local government until dad's ill health caused her to take early retirement.

Given that family history then life in those halcyon days, had I have lived then would be a far cry from that of a "Charles Ryder", or "Tom Dugeon", or even a "death and glory" boy! There would have been no dreaming spires of Oxford for me. More likely a life in service as a footman if I was very lucky, or unskilled manual work or farm labour. No messing about in boats for me, that, in those days was the preserve of the well to do.
If Britain must choose between Europe and the open sea, she must always choose the open sea.”

Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill
Paul
Boatswain

Postby woodwose » Fri Jun 20, 2014 12:04 am

Interesting comments Paul.

Here is a link to what it would have been like if you lived at How Hill in Ludham http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/bdm30.htm

and here is a link to the reality for the local kids http://www.ludhamarchive.org.uk/schoolout.htm

You know, history is an interesting thing. It has much to teach us if we care to listen. Its no good looking back through rose tinted glasses because things were not rose tinted back then.

Nigel
woodwose
Scurvy Mariner

Postby EllenandFrank » Fri Jun 20, 2014 8:45 am

Probably being one of the older generation on the site I must say we all look back
and think things were better in our days and to us they were, we were young enough
to enjoy them, I know my happiest time was in the 50s and early 60s when my girls
were born and I stayed at home to look after them, we were poor but happy and we
could let them out to play with not too much worry about them being abducted and
never giving a thought to being green and thank goodness they turned out healthy
and happy (I think) you will have to ask Sue if that is right.
So don't forget whichever generation you were brought up in we all think that was
THE BEST, enjoy today as much as you enjoyed the past.. :D :D
Ellen
EllenandFrank
Scurvy Mariner

Postby roya » Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:17 pm

Hi Nige yes be nice to meet you again ;bow

You are much to clever for me but I like you .k.

Takes all sorts mate.

I must have a brain lost in Transit I think. .ph.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Next

Return to Comedy Corner