;) .clap.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Re: tales from the 1970s

Postby RICHGRAFIX.CO.UK » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:50 pm

hi Delbuoy

just found your thread and enjoying it immensley, keep it coming!
OFFICIAL NBO northern county's correspondent
RICHGRAFIX.CO.UK
Quarter Master

Postby petemarr » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:22 am

Great stuff Del. .clap. .clap.
PETE
Good friends are worth their weight in gold
petemarr
Site Admin

Postby TudorRose » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:29 am

Brilliant DelBuoy .clap. .clap.
We All came here on different ships, but we're in the same boat now!
TudorRose
Site Admin

Postby delbuoy » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:28 pm

hi all,i shoudnt be putting this one in really as it happend about 1967 but its so nice.
i got a job with balfour beaty when they were building the new blackwall tunnel.they had finnished the compresed air part so i didnt have to worry about that.my job was as a chain man.if you drive past past a civil enginering site your see the enginear look through a level at a man holding a staff.i was the one holding the staff.all the enginears were great but i particuly got on with one off them.inside the tunnel itself it was made up of cast mettle sections bolted together.i always thought it must be like being inside a giant hover tube.our job was to mark out the center line so the carpenters could measer of from it,to do this there were lots of cradles welded to the roof.this guy got fedup climbing up to them so we often swaped jobs.turns out this guys father was a lord,i said he sits in the lords,no not very often he replys,he goes there signes in gets his £4 but normaly dosent stay.he had a house where the garden ran down to the regents park cannal.he had a 20ft punt with hoops going overit and a tent thing that rolled down and fastend with velcrow.it was just like the one in the film of three men in a boat,apart from it had a hole cut in the aft deck and lined out,to take an outboard.a bank holiday was comeing up so he asked his father if i could lend it.his father said yes,so it came to pass that me and pat,the girl i was engaged to at the time found it one friday evening.after an hour or so tryingto find out where things were we set off.
sorry must stop for a cup of tea.
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby delbuoy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 1:10 am

i dont know wow far we got, but we found the grand union cannal turned right and set off north.that night we stopped in the middle of nowere ,put the tent down.as the tent went from stem to stern,if you took the outboard out,the hole became a great convieniance ,that is to put the tea slops out.that bank holliday had some of the best weather ive ever known.there was a deep cushioned bench front and back going thwalt ships.pat spread out on the front one andi on the back one.i just sort of lay there with the tiller exstention over my shoulder .the sun got higher and started to burn that was ok,as the tent rolled to the center of the hoops alli had to do was roll them down a little each side and we had a sun cannopy .we got to rickmansworth.i dont know what was it was all about but there was a carnival going on.we just sort joined in.we spent the night there.the nextday sunday we set of back to london,weather was great again.the only problem was the carnival had taken to the water but it was going in the opposit direction to us.it was total mayhem.then the cannal became peacful again.as evening came up i said to pat better find somewhere to tie up for the night.this is the point.there was a long line of boats moored to our right.a woman was standing on the fordeck of one of them.pat said ask her.i did she said,you can pull in behind me.hes gone away for the weekend and i know he wont mind.we got the tent down,made the bed and wandered down the lane to the village and the pub of course.next morning we slept late,even with the tent i could see the sun was high.there was a sort of knock on the tent.i pulled the velcrow appart and there was the woman.she had a large tray with two full english breakfasts,toast,marmalade and a pot of tea.that was at least 43 years ago.i can still remember exactly what she said."i could see your cooking facilities wernt very good so i thought you might like this.is that something or what.all the way back to london that day i thought of her,and many times over the years.perfect end to a perfect weekend.i wish i knew who that lord was.
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby roya » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:24 pm

Hi Dell,

you really are not safe to be let loose , .clap. .clap. .clap. .clap. was it a zip mate not sure if velcro was about then,or was it .Tee. like you im to old to remember,its all a haze ;)

i will be in the Wenns next monday ,hope you enjoyed your little treat Gill made for you.

dont we lead boring lives now,but your tales i know are true and cheer us up Thanks
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby delbuoy » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:13 pm

reply to roya,hi roy,funny how old age gets you old?mate.velcro invented 1941.pantented 1955.
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby SteveO » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:03 pm

In Roy's case, I think it's the tablets.
.Tee. .Tee. .Tee. .Tee. .Tee. .Tee.

Regards

Steve
Old enough to know better
SteveO
Master at Arms

Postby roya » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 am

:oops: :Oh
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby delbuoy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 3:33 pm

hi all,im having trouble starting this one.its like lots of little roots going to one big tree.
things ticked over nicely, without realizing it the engine was gradually gaining speed.(jr) would come round every friday night for his £5 of course we never had it but he didnt seem to mind."put your glad rags on and ill take you out".so we would end up in some posh hotel bar at two in the morning eating toasted steak sandwichges and drinking champagne.next day we would be in the greasy spoon with acup of stewed tea.in fact both me and beryl got jobs in the cafe.beryl worked afternoons and i worked evenings.i finnished about 11pm and every night without fail ,prof would be sitting outside waiting for me and we would walk back to the boat together.we became freinds with a guy named butch,he introduced us to woollies cafeteria one afternoon.over another cup of tea he said "you have no money but all that room,why dont you let some rooms out.he intoduced me to(pr) who was looking for a room.thats probably where it all started .id nether been on this side of the letting buisness befor,so i just said to(pr) come have a look,if you like pick a room bring a pot of paint and a mattress .its £3 a week.
time for a cup of tea
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby delbuoy » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:01 pm

he came,he saw and he slept on a settie we had aquired?.he would lay flat on his back,mouth wide open and snore.he was a nice guy appart from one thing.he would get a steel tape measer unwind about a yard chase prof arround the boat whipping him.i told him about this time and time again but he still kept doing it.one night beryl and i were in bed being kept awake by the snoring,when all of a sudden it stopped.there was a silence for a bit,then all hell broke loose.i went to investigate.when i went into the living roomthere was(pr) storming about shouting "when i find that cat ill kill it"."whats up i said".
(pr)"that xxxxxxx cat xxxxxx in my mouth".
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby roya » Sun Mar 21, 2010 5:19 pm

Nice one Dell
will be in the Wenns tomorrow with ,
;)
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby Stonegate » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:00 pm

good stories Del! keep them coming :)
Stonegate
Dunsail

Postby delbuoy » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:21 pm

hi stonegate,thanks thore response .i get loads of looks but little coment.need to know if its worth going on.
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby roya » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:04 pm

Hi Del,
will not see you next week as we are off on holiday,

so i expect huge input from you by the time i get back or its no more pies for you me lad,
.Tee.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby TudorRose » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:42 pm

delbuoy wrote:hi stonegate,thanks thore response .i get loads of looks but little coment.need to know if its worth going on.

Hi Delbuoy,

Of cause its worth going on, we love your tales. :wow

How's about joining us at the Spring Meet - I reckon Dwile Flonking could be right up your street and you'll meet lots of people who really do love your stories. .k.
We All came here on different ships, but we're in the same boat now!
TudorRose
Site Admin

Postby delbuoy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:11 pm

hi sue,how on earth do you know about dwile flunking.
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby hank » Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:20 pm

delbuoy wrote:i sue,how on earth do you know about dwile flunking.

viewtopic.php?f=131&t=1444 .ph. .ph. .ph.
Definition: Boat n. A hole in the surface of the water in which to throw money
hank
Site Admin

Postby roya » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:08 pm

Hi Dell,
tried your mobile ,no answer,
i will be in the Wenns Tues lunch.

:D
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby delbuoy » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:18 pm

hi all,im glad the spring meet went well.i couldn't be leave it,i went on the yahoo home page and there it was ,dwile flonking banned,but you got over it.good for you.
anyway back to prof.he knew his time on the boat was at an end,so he just went.we done all the things you do,notes in shop windows ect.we did have one response.there was a boat shed just up the road from us.one of the guys came round one night and told us a cat answering profs description had taken up residence there.they were pleased to have him because he was keeping the rats down.we went down there had a cup of tea on this guys boat and waited for prof but he didn't show.we did see him see him about two years later.we had moved out of town by then and went to norwich one day to shop.we took a walk down king street for old times sake and prof sprang out in front of us.i picked him up,he purred like made.we thought about taking him with us but he had made a new life and although he couldn't have little profs,i bet he had a good time trying.
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby roya » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi all
met up with Del today, bit squiffy or what :Oh ,

any way gave him a nudge to get on with it.
.clap.
just old and knackered.

ROYA
roya
Liaison Officer

Postby delbuoy » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:44 pm

hi all,roya had a go at me again.so i will try.
the boat became a wonderful place.i just ended up with loads of lodgers,they were all great.no one apart from me and beryl lived on it but all just came and stayed.
mr clark would cme every sunday and thursday.it took me years to work why them days,then it was beryl that told me.visited the pub i told you about.there were all sorts.i nether wot they off the boat but on board they were wonderful .one was a go go dancer an.other was into anteqs .some gust got out of prison,allsorts.but nether eny trouble on board
got to go see you later.
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby delbuoy » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:12 pm

Hi all,
sorry I was so long,the gas ran out and I coudnt find a shilling.
It was a wonderfully hot summer that year.the girls from the local offices would come down in there lunch breaks and sunbath on the deck.the local bobby would come down with his small son and fish from the deck.i think his supereous encouraged him to as he was the only copper I would talk to.beryl kept every one happy with endless cups of tea.
As you boat owners know one of the assentle things you need wiyh a boat is mooring rope.it issent so bad with small boats,but with something the size of aggy its a bit of a problem.
Even that fell into place.we were at the pub one night and met three sailers of a boat moored in the port.we got on well and took some booze back to abby.they found out that I needed rope.it just so happened that there company had just bought new ropes for there ship and given orders to dump the old stuff at sea.i rowed them down river to there ship.they filled the dingy up with rope,so much so there was no room for me.so there I was 3am sitting on apile of rope in a sinking dingy paddling up the river back to aggy.next day I cut the rough bits out spliced the good bits together and ended up with two lengths of 3or4 in poly something (the orange stuff) rope.each at lest 100ft long.
As your see latter,came in very handy.
HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL
delbuoy
Scurvy Mariner

Postby roya » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi Del
welcome back mate was it Spain ?

must meet up for a pint soon ,
im still at St Margarets so pop by ,and we can try the Wenns ,
xx
just old and knackered.